Festive Stuffing base recipe
Okay okay we admit: stuffing is hardly the costliest part of the festive dinner, but we thought this recipe was too versatile and cost-effective not to share:
- 1 cup medium oatmeal
- 1 finely chopped large onion
- 4tbsp oil of choice
Cook the onion in the oil until soft then add the oatmeal and salt and mix, stirring frequently until all combined and cooked.
This basic recipe costs less than £0.35 per portion, and you probably already have the ingredients!
- Add any herbs you like to the mix (dried in with the oatmeal, fresh addition to the onion) for a simple flavour. Fresh sage is a traditional addition.
- Add minced garlic to the onions to punch up the flavour. Try some smoked paprika for depth.
- Compliment the flavours of your meal by adding spices to the onion – try cumin, coriander and cinnamon for a north African twist. You can even add a handful of sultanas.
- Go classic with the zest and juice of a lemon
- How about a more exuberant festive stuffing, we recommend adding chopped roasted chestnuts and add 2 tablespoons of chestnut puree to taste.