Hold up!! hold up… We are all trying to make our pennies go further, and what better way than using up leftovers and even by eating your Halloween pumpkin or decorative squash?
This take on a classic banana loaf cake uses up the flesh of your carved pumpkins and nearly or overripe bananas for a wonderfully warming slice you can eat with your hands around the fire – and it’s freezable! so double up the recipe and make extra for later.
250g pumpkin or squash (or our puree) (approx 82p)
50g black treacle/ molasses (appx. 23p)
140g golden syrup (appx. £1.25)
140g coconut palm sugar (appx. 95p)
100ml milk of choice (appx. 12p)
100g cold butter (vegan butter is great) (appx. 70p)
225g self-raising flour (appx. 65p)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1.5tbsp pumpkin spice (see our recipe), or mixed spice is fine
1 large ripe banana, mashed (you can use frozen, defrosted or put in the blender to make a puree) (appx. 30p)
Optional – use toasted pumpkin seeds to decorate (see our tips), or crystallised ginger. Or for Birthdays or special occasions make icing with tahini, water and a sweetener of your choice, here we used coconut palm sugar.
This loaf comes to £5 or for 8 slices – 60p per slice
- If you’re not using our pumpkin puree, steam your pumpkin over simmering in water for 20 mins or until a butter knife easily cuts it, and then mash until smooth.
- Over gentle heat melt the syrups, sugar and milk in a pan.
- Preheat the oven to 180/160 fan/gas 4
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl including our pumpkin spice mix and rub in the butter to a breadcrumb consistency.
- Mix the banana and pumpkin into the liquid mix, then stir everything into the dry and pour in the tin.
- Bake for 45mins (use a fork or cocktail stick to check that the loaf is cooked through, if not, cook for another 10mins) then leave to cool in the tin.
- If you are adding a topping, toast your seeds in a dry pan on low heat until they start popping. Or slice your crystallised ginger.
- In a bowl, mix the tahini, water and coconut palm sugar if you are using it until it forms a smooth spreadable consistency.
- Spread on top of the loaf
Perfect sliced and buttered!